Mother says tot suffered burn after biting a phone charger

2 months ago kakp2 Comments Off on Mother says tot suffered burn after biting a phone charger

A mother has shared images of an electrical burn left on her daughter’s mouth after she sucked on a switched-on phone charger.

Courtney N Davis, from Kentucky, posted the alarming images on Facebook in a bid to warn other parents about the potential hazard from the everyday object. 

She revealed that it took just ‘a few seconds’ for her daughter to grab the charger and put it in her mouth, causing a nasty electrical burn to one corner of her lip. 

Scroll down for video 

Courtney N Davis, from Kentucky, shared a series of alarming images of the electrical burn on her young daughter's mouth after the tot grabbed a switched-on charger

Courtney N Davis, from Kentucky, shared a series of alarming images of the electrical burn on her young daughter's mouth after the tot grabbed a switched-on charger

Courtney N Davis, from Kentucky, shared a series of alarming images of the electrical burn on her young daughter’s mouth after the tot grabbed a switched-on charger

Warning: Several days after the accident, which occurred at home, the 19-month-old is pictured with a painful-looking hole to the corner of her mouth

Warning: Several days after the accident, which occurred at home, the 19-month-old is pictured with a painful-looking hole to the corner of her mouth

Warning: Several days after the accident, which occurred at home, the 19-month-old is pictured with a painful-looking hole to the corner of her mouth

Davis shared the photos of her tot on a parenting group on Facebook in a bid to warn others to keep phone chargers out of reach from youngsters

Davis shared the photos of her tot on a parenting group on Facebook in a bid to warn others to keep phone chargers out of reach from youngsters

Davis shared the photos of her tot on a parenting group on Facebook in a bid to warn others to keep phone chargers out of reach from youngsters

In the days after the incident, Davis took photographs charting how the burn developed and shared them in a parenting group on Facebook, which has since been viewed more than 300,000 times.

HOW TO DEAL WITH AN ELECTRICAL BURN 

Electrical burns may not look serious, but they can be very damaging. 

Someone who has an electrical burn should seek immediate medical attention at an A&E department.

If the person has been injured by a low-voltage source (up to 220-240 volts) such as a domestic electricity supply, safely switch off the power supply or remove the person from the electrical source using a material that doesn’t conduct electricity, such as a wooden stick or a wooden chair.

Don’t approach a person who is connected to a high-voltage source (1,000 volts or more).

SOURCE NHS DIRECT 

 

The concerned mother wrote in the post: ‘On Sept 28th, my 19-month-old stuck my phone charger in her mouth.

‘We went to the Dr, who confirmed that it was an electrical burn there was nothing they could put on it due to her being able to lick it.’

The series of photos show how several days after the incident, her daughter had been left with a sizeable hole at the side of her mouth. 

The Kentucky native explained that she ordinarily keeps the charger well away from her toddler but didn’t have time to move it on that day. 

She added that her youngster had never previously shown any interest in it.  

Pleading with other parents to keep chargers out of reach, she said: ‘Parents, Grandparents, babysitters etc please put your chargers up out of reach.

‘My daughter was lucky the next kid may not be as lucky as her.’  

Her post has now been shared more than 300,000 times on Facebook.

Painful: The scabbing burn, which didn't cause the little girl too much discomfort, seen four days after the incident

Painful: The scabbing burn, which didn't cause the little girl too much discomfort, seen four days after the incident

Painful: The scabbing burn, which didn’t cause the little girl too much discomfort, seen four days after the incident

In 2016, a baby girl in Kazakhstan died after she chewed through her parents’ mobile phone charger. 

The baby’s mother was sleeping close to infant when she chewed on a charger that had an exposed wire.

After waking to find her child unresponsive, the mother rushed her to hospital where doctors confirmed her death had been caused by a serious electrical burn, with burn marks visible on her face and hands.