Emma Watson says she ‘stands by’ Weinstein’s victims
10 months ago adcity Comments Off on Emma Watson says she ‘stands by’ Weinstein’s victims
Emma Watson has broken her silence on the Harvey Weinstein allegations as he was today accused of rape.
The actress and campaigner has this afternoon tweeted in support of those who have come forward.
Taking to Twitter, she wrote: ‘I stand with all the women who have been sexually harassed, and am awestruck by their bravery. This mistreatment of women has to stop. ‘
The 27-year-old ambassador for the UN worked with Weinstein in 2011 when she starred in his film My Week With Marilyn.
‘It has got to stop’: Today Emma Watson has condemned sexual violence against women as more allegations about Harvey Weinstein come forward. Pictured above, the movie mogul grabbing the then-nineteen-year-old actress as they left Mahiki nightclub
Emma Watson has broken her silence on the Harvey Weinstein allegations as he was today accused of rape. The actress said she ‘stands by’ the alleged victims
In images taken at the time, a 19-year-old Watson can be seen being grabbed by the 58-year-old producer as they left London nightclub Mahiki.
Watson, 27, is a passionate campaigner for women’s rights and has been a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador since 2014. Last year she said: ‘It’s sad we live in a society where women don’t feel safe.’
Her tweet comes just hours after Italian actress Asia Argento has accused Harvey Weinstein of raping her.
Watson appeared in the Weinstein film My Week With Marilyn in 2011 and that year was seen leaving a pre-Bafta party with him and going to a nightclub where they partied until 3am.
Earlier this week there was no word about Weinstein to her 26.6million Twitter followers. Her publicist did not respond when MailOnline contacted her for comment.
More victims emerge: Asia Argento (above in 2004) says that Harvey Weinstein raped her in a hotel room at the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc back in 1997
Recording: Model Ambra Battilana (above) can be heard repeatedly rejecting Weinstein’s requests to have her join him in his bedroom
In an interview with the New Yorker the star said in 1997 she was at a party hosted by Miramax at the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc when Weinstein led to her an empty room and asked her to give him a massage.
She reluctantly agreed, and halfway through he began to perform oral sex on her despite her repeated request for him to stop.
In the same article, both Rosanna Arquette and Mira Sorvino state that the powerful Hollywood executive forced himself upon them, but that they were able to fight off his sexual advances.
Soon after, the two women say their careers began to suffer.
In total, 13 women said that they were sexually harassed or assaulted by Weinstein and three said that they were raped.
An investigation by The New York Times claimed on Thursday that Weinstein repeatedly sexually harassed a number of female employees and movie stars over the course of his three-decade career as one of Hollywood’s most celebrated studio heads.
In one case he reportedly asked Ashley Judd if she would like to watch him shower during a meeting in his room at the Peninsula Beverly Hills and paid $100,000 to Rose McGowan for an unknown incident shortly after she filmed her breakthrough role in the film ‘Scream.’
That settlement is one of eight that Weinstein has reportedly paid out over the past 30 years, with Italian model Ambra Battilana also getting an undisclosed sum in 2015 after accusing the Hollywood executive of groping her and putting his hand under her skirt.
Hollywood elite actresses Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lawrence and Julia Roberts are among the many women who have worked with Weinstein in the past.
Weinstein was fired on Sunday by The Weinstein Company just days after the Times published their findings.
The movie mogul was ousted by his own company’s board of directors. Weinstein founded the firm with his brother Bob in 2005 when he left Miramax.
But since the allegations made national headlines, many A-li
sters have kept quiet.